[asterisk-users] Phone routing - curious what others are doing?

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Dec 13 19:30:41 MST 2006

I just went through an exercise of writing a Perl script called from my
Asterisk dialplan to look at a list of area codes and exchanges to
determine which ones are local (no or little cost) under my current
Verizon plan. I route calls outside of my local limits to Gizmo. It works
fine but when I called Verizon to change (lower) my service it was a
bewildering spider web of rates structures just in the Philadelphia
metropolitan area. It made me wonder why I send any of my calls to
Verizon! I was able to cut my Verizon cost down by about half.

I wonder if any others are splitting calls like this or just biting the
bullet and going 100% voip???

With Asterisk/Gizmo I have a local DID for $30/year plus I put $10 credit
on callout last June and I still have $3 left. I prefer pay as you go
rather than flat rate which at $20 or more a month would (for me) be a
$150/year waste! When you have a Gizmo DID the callout CID is
automatically the DID number. You can request a different number though as
long as you have control of it.

Doug