[asterisk-users] Need help getting started with asterisk

Michael Sullivan michael at espersunited.com
Tue Dec 12 20:13:50 MST 2006

I am new to asterisk.  I need help getting started, if it's even worth
getting started.  I say if it's worth getting started because I'm not
sure if my hardware will even work with asterisk.  I have a US ROBOTICS
56K V.90 PCI SOFT MODEM.  I have standard twisted pair telephone wire.
I can't afford to alter my hardware.  I know I won't be able to do any
sophistocated VoIP stuff.  All I want is for asterisk to provide caller
ID information for my Gentoo box and to drop calls for certain phone
numbers I specify.  Someone on the Gentoo list told me that for the
caller ID bit I should check my modem's manual to find out how; my modem
did not come with a manual.  I've emerged asterisk on my Gentoo system,
as well as the zaptel driver package.  I issued /etc/init.d/asterisk
start and confirmed with ps that it was running.  I got a command
console with asterisk -r.  I then called my home line that the computer
is plugged into from my cell phone.  I heard my wife's cordless ringing
in the other room, and I heard some breaks on the phone line, but
nothing else.  I let it ring ten times.  What would I have to do to get
asterisk to realize that the PC is connected to the phone line?  I know
it is because I can dial out with kppp.  Also, I've been trying to
follow the AsteriskTFOT.pdf file.  On page 79 it says to add a few lines
to /etc/zaptel.conf and then modprobe wctdm.  I did that.  I then
ran /sbin/ztcnf -vv to make sure everything was right.  I got this:

camille ~ # modprobe wctdm
camille ~ # /sbin/ztcfg -vv

Zaptel Configuration

Channel map:

Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)

1 channels configured.

ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 2: No such device or address (6)

What does that mean?  What device was it looking for?  Please help!
-Michael Sullivan-