[asterisk-users] Asterisk with IM

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Dec 12 01:32:42 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 09:55:52AM +0700, Mochamad Susantok wrote:
> How do i patch file chan_sip.so ?
> I use asterisk with Debian distro not asterisk-XXX.tar.gz

You can still rebuild the package with the extra patch. Not a big
problem. However:

> > Mochamad Susantok wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > Howto configure asterisk 1.2.13 (debian-base) with support Instant
> > > Messaging, especially using client Xlite v.3.
> >
> > Im using my patched chan_sip.c for that.
> > http://www.voiprakyat.or.id/download/server/asterisk/sip-messaging/1.2.13/

If I were to consider if to include this in Debian, the first thing I'd
ask: is this code that is going to be merged into the main package?

The README refers me to
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+SIP+Messaging
where I see the following:

Comment by oej:

Although this is a great SIP patch, it will not be included in Asterisk
due to it's one-channel perspective. As Juraj says, this is a hack and
proof-of-concept. There are work going on to create a multi-protocol IM
and presense solution for Asterisk.

So could anybody erlaborate on this patch? Where exactly is it known to
work? What problems is it known to have? What are its limitations?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com