[asterisk-users] VPN As SIP Tunneling?

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 20:07:34 MST 2006

> If my IP Phone set QoS and the VoIP Termination provider's
> * PBX sets QoS. And we now connected via a VPN tunnel.
> We should be able to guarantee Quality due to the Tunnel.

Nope. You only control the QOS within your tunnel (i.e. among other
traffic flowing through the tunnel). But what QOS guarantee does your
tunnel traffic have? None, if it goes through the public Internet. You
don't gain anything QOS-wise by going through a tunnel, except hiding
your traffic in case your ISP purposefully assigns lower priority to
VoIP traffic and doesn't do it to OpenVPN/GRE/<insert your favorite
tunnel protocol> traffic.

--Luki