[asterisk-users] Asterisk Sends 180-RINGING to UA even withprogressinband=yes

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Mon Dec 11 16:58:16 MST 2006

Andrew,

I don't think it's a Polycom issue. We took Asterisk out of the picture and had our Polycom phones communicate directly with an Audiocodes PSTN gateway. Unlike Asterisk, the audiocodes do not send 180 Ringing before sending 183 Session Progress, and the polycom's play the correct tones in this case.

We WANT Asterisk to send progress tones in band. In our case it IS needed. What's the SIP response for a reorder then if we don't need in band progress tones? There is none. In a situation where the PSTN end sends back a reorder, or some other unusual tone, all the UA ends up hearing is the closest SIP approximation, which is ringing, which is not correct.

I have tried to explain my issues in detail in this list in the past, and I have invariably met with responses like 'I don't understand' or 'why would you want to do that?'. I get much better understanding of my issues, and therefore better replies, when I break the problem down and only explain the relevant portions.

I really don't appreciate your tone.

Douglas.