[asterisk-users] Xen, Asterisk & ISDN: Timing Problems

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sun Dec 10 19:11:35 MST 2006

Arik Raffael Funke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is anybody running asterisk on a xen domU and can give an opinion on
> the following:
>
> I have delegated a FritzCard and a HFC card to my domU and installed
> an asterisk setup that was running on the same isdn hardware but on a
> dedicated machine flawlessly.
>
> I experienced what I believed to be timing problems: sometimes calls
> on the Fritzcard did not seem to "reach" asterisk, when calls were
> being made, sometimes they were horribly distorted. I quickly
> abandoned the project at the time for lack of time. I would now make
> another trial.
>
> Can anybody tell me if the problems I was having were more likely to
> result from the fact that the isdn hardware was dedicated to the domU
> (i.e. maybe that produces some sort of bottleneck!?) or from too
> little ram allocated to my domU? (I believe I had 128 MB or so)
>
> Thanks,
> Arik

You are doing something that in my opinion requires advanced expertise
and experimentation. Start out by using a host with at least 2 CPU cores
and at least 1 gb RAM. Give your domU half the RAM and don't run any
other domU's. If it doesn't work that way, you need to look at xen
config options and the way your kernel is built. If you can get it to
work, then you can try it with less resources and other domU's running.