[asterisk-users] Asterisk from Debian Packages

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Dec 10 10:49:12 MST 2006

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Phil Finkler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've gotten asterisk installed on Debian only to realize that the
> packaged version is 1.0.7.  Is there a reason why they're not up to a
> 1.2.x release?  I'm building a system for production and I'm wondering
> if I should remain at this old version or if there are any serious
> issues with 1.2.13 on Debian?  Should I be able to do an apt-get from
> unstable and get 1.2.13 and be on my happy way?
>
> Thanks for the help on a stupid question,

Not stupid, it's part of Debian philosophy - they considered 1.0.7 to be
"stable" enough to be part of the curent stable (sarge) distribution at
the time the distribution "went to press" as it were. The Debian team have
a habit of back-porting serious security issues, so from a security POV,
as long as they are doing their (unpaid!) job right, then you'll be OK
from that angle.

But you don't have to use their packages for application software like
asterisk.

I use Debian, but I don't use their asterisk packages!

I'm running 1.2.13 compiled & installed as per the standard instructions
and it's working just fine for me - the config files are where I expect
them to be and it's all "just working".

I'm also running Zaptel 1.2.11 compiled against kernel 2.6.18 and 2.6.19
without any issues. (I don't use the Debian kernel package either, but get
stock kernels off www.kernel.org)

Gordon