good Linux references (was: Re: [asterisk-users] Re: Switching from FreeBSD to Linux - which distro?)

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Dec 9 18:09:49 MST 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 14:03, John Novack wrote:
> David Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Note: a default install of CentOS installs a bunch of unnecessary
> > services that you will want to turn off using "chkconfig service_name
> > off".
> >
> > David
>
> It MIGHT be useful for SOMEONE to specify what those unnecessary
> services are
>
> John Novack

That depends entirely on what services you need to have running. No one will
hold being inexperienced against you- but unwilling to learn is something
else. The world is crammed to the gills with excellent Linux system and
network administration references. A good resource for anyone new to CentOS
is the Red Hat manuals:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/

And of course as all good computer geeks know, go to the distribution's home
page, which is http://www.centos.org/. Wikis, forums, mailing lists are all
here.

Running a complex server like Asterisk has several interdependent parts:
Asterisk itself, provisioning phones, operating system administration, and
network administration. You already know about this here excellent list, and
hopefully are aware of http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/, the home of all things
Asterisk.

These are my fave resources for Linux system and network administration:

TCP/IP Network Administration, Third Edition
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tcp3/
TCP/IP is fundamental to VoIP and computer networking. If you don't understand
TCP/IP everything else will remain mysterious

bash Quick Reference
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bashqr/
get up to speed quickly on the primary Linux command shell

Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/toc.html
Free to read online. My favorite inspirational book with essays by the movers
and shakers of the free software movement

And of course, may I modestly point to my own book (see sig.) Though it's
getting a bit old and needing an update.

Carla
--
Carla Schroder