[asterisk-users] Switching from FreeBSD to Linux - which distro?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Dec 8 15:00:49 MST 2006

Derek Whitten wrote:
> John Novack wrote:
>
> <snip>
> That sounds like a microsoft way of doing things.. install 25X more crap than you will ever use.   What ever happened to planning and RTFM?

I guess it all depends on what the objective is.
One can sit around and RTFM and play with oneself or one can get on with
the task at hand, in this case learning a telephony application and ITs
warts and shortcomings.

There is no harm in  installing  an extra thousand or two files that are
never needed and services that aren't run or used
Disk space is REALLY cheap, in fact most of the hardware is these days.

Time is valuable. everyone has a limited amount of it, so why waste
hours or days of it because one file wasn't installed.
If you want to discourage potential users of Asterisk, not installing
the complete distro is a wonderful way to do it

John Novack