[asterisk-users] Dial groups, groups of phones, multiple line keys

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Fri Dec 8 12:14:25 MST 2006

I have 4 Polycom phones with multiple line keys so multiple incoming
calls work fine

The way I would like the incoming call flow to work is as follows:

1)       2 groups consisting of 2 phones each

2)       Incoming call rings the first group, if no answer, the 2nd
group is rung

3)       However if the first 2 are on a call or busy, it will
immediately ring the 2nd group

4)       If one of the first group is in use, the available phone is
rung, if no answer, roll over to group 2

5)       If group 2 one phone is busy, ring the other one only

6)       Finally drop into voicemail if no answer at all

Suggestions on how to do that yet still keep the multiple line keys?
Would this be a good use of CheckGroup and Set(GROUP())?

I could use astdb but I wanted to stay away from persistent variables.

I looked into ChanIsAvail but I don't think that is what I want.

So I guess what I am looking for is there a way to find out if a device
is using ANY channel, because I can check that (say
CheckIfPhoneInUse(SIP/phone1)) and set dynamic variable values based on
that, then decide what phones to ring based on that.

Bill