[asterisk-users] Is there any Asterisk controllable thermostat?

John Marvin jm-asterisk at themarvins.org
Fri Dec 8 04:24:52 MST 2006

Doug Crompton wrote:
> John,
>
>  Two questions on your comments....
>
>  I have no seen an Insteon computer controller similiar to the old bottle
> rocket. Is there such a device? I am thinking of getting an Insteon
> starter kit bit I have so many X10 devices it will be awhie before, if
> ever, that I get it all changed over. Many items, like spotlights, are not
> available in Insteon.

Similar, in terms of a wireless transmitter -- no. But they have both a
serial and a USB computer controller that works over the power ($50-$70
for the controller). It works  for both X10 and Insteon protocols. Why
isn't that acceptable?

And yes, some essential X10 replacements are not yet available. I have
two of the X10 spotlights myself. But Insteon has a lot of interest from
a lot of companies, so I expect to see a lot more variety in the next
year or two.

Note: There is opensource software available for the controller, so you
don't have to pay the extra $70-$200 or more for the various non
opensource software packages available.

> I would be interested in the Ethernet MWI. I am using many phones on an
> SPA3000 fxs and I can't seem to find an MWI on an analog phone that works
> with Asterisk and the SPA3000, although I have been told that there are
> some that do??? The quick answer would be to put a SIP phone with MWI
> where your wife wants to be able to see the light. I have a Budgtone 200
> and MWI works fine on it. Of course then you have styling and color issues
> that might not past the muster.

Well, the answering machine was a digital one that had multiple (3) VM
boxes. It had a separate message waiting light for each box. That is the
feature that my wife misses. I'm not sure what if any SIP phones provide
multiple message waiting indicators. Besides, it is a moot point for me
at this time, since I've already finished building the hardware, now it
is just a "simple matter of programming" to get it to work.