[asterisk-users] Switching from FreeBSD to Linux - which distro?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Thu Dec 7 18:42:13 MST 2006

Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 20:12, Lacy Moore - Aspendora wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/06, John Novack <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Go get the ISO's, and remember to INSTALL EVERYTHING, then you won't run
>>> into some "gotcha" down the road where there is some missing file that
>>> needs to be put who knows where.
>>>
>> Wow!  Are you sure about that?
>>

> Doesn't seem like an issue to me. "yum install foo" is easy, and I've always
> preferred servers that are as lean as possible, rather than all porky with
> unnecessary packages and services.
>
> Someone else mentioned AstLinux, and it is very nice. About 40 megabytes. No
> lard at all.

That may be true for you and those that know Linux and how to respond to
a missing file because it wasn't initially installed.
For those who don't practice Linux as a religion but simply want to use
a telephony application, it works to install everything, and move on to
learning Asterisk and all IT'S warts and gotchas,

John Novack