[asterisk-users] Re: Running Asterisk on a Home rotuer

David Cook (Canada) dbc_asterisk at advan.ca
Thu Dec 7 17:06:00 MST 2006

On 12/7/06, Dovid B <asteriskusers at dovid.net> wrote:

>  Hi list,
> Can anyone who has successfully ran asterisk on a home router please
give
> me the modell number as well as how they did it ?
>
> Thanks.
> Dovid

Sure. I have 5 units "out there" on Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 through v4
units. The software is OpenWRT.org. Asterisk is simply an available
package to load once you have replace the original firmware with
OpenWRT.

There are several models that can run the software. Check the HW compat
list on the site. They go right down to revision numbers identified by
serial # patterns.

Be careful of the amount of RAM they have. You will be storing voicemail
in RAM unless you put it off-device like an NFS mount, etc. (Some
mfg/models have USB2 ports and you can put a USB stick on them and
basically forget about the problem).

--
David Cook (Canada)