[asterisk-users] Switching from FreeBSD to Linux - which distro?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Dec 6 02:43:10 MST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:37:17AM +0100, Norbert Zawodsky wrote:
> Hi Carla,
>
> Carla Schroder wrote:
> > Debian is my fave, but for Asterisk I use CentOS. It's a free-of-cost clone of
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so it's very stable and reliable, and Asterisk runs
> > great on it. Debian is good too.

My personal $FAVORITE_DISTRO.

> > They have Asterisk packages, but they're
> > generally a little bit old. Source installations work fine. Both have large,
> > active developer and user communities.
> >
> > Avoid Fedora- it's too much of a moving target, and Asterisk installations are
> > always a nightmare.

Another issue with Fedora is the upgrade path: upgrading a Fedora
installation practically requires a downtime in the order of magnitude
of a working day. Or a completely new reinstallation. And a Fedora
system is supported for less than a year. This includes part of the time
where it still moves.

> > Ubuntu is the darling of the Linux world, but I've had
> > problems with Asterisk on it too.

There are "problems" with every system. Could you be more specific?

> What do you think about Slackware?

$FAVORITE_DISTRO is generally better, as you are more familiar with it. In
that sense there is a point to sticking wiht FreeBSD.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com