[asterisk-users] Switching from FreeBSD to Linux - which distro?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Dec 5 16:59:54 MST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:36, Phil Finkler wrote:
> Does there seem to be a popular Linux distro folks use specifically for
> Asterisk?  I'd like to move off of FreeBSD but I'm not too familiar with
> Linux distros.  In particular, I'm looking for a free, stable, well
> supported distro that has a friendly community.  Any advice appreciated.
> Sorry for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked thousands of
> times.

Debian is my fave, but for Asterisk I use CentOS. It's a free-of-cost clone of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so it's very stable and reliable, and Asterisk runs
great on it. Debian is good too. They have Asterisk packages, but they're
generally a little bit old. Source installations work fine. Both have large,
active developer and user communities.

Avoid Fedora- it's too much of a moving target, and Asterisk installations are
always a nightmare. Ubuntu is the darling of the Linux world, but I've had
problems with Asterisk on it too.

--
Carla Schroder