[asterisk-users] regcontext, NoOp extension vanishes when extension reload and doesn't come back

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 11:50:18 MST 2006

Hi All,

I just noticed something interesting.  When a sip device registers and
regcontext is setup in sip.conf, a NoOp priority 1 extension is
dynamically created in the dialplan within the specified regcontext.
Works great.  If for some reason, modification is made to the
extension.conf and a >reload extension is performed, those dynamically
created extensions in the regcontext vanish.  Now this is ok, I
understand why they vanish, but the strange thing is they don't come
back when the sip device registration time expires.

If I set the max regiter time of the device to be 60 seconds, after 60
seconds the phone sends another registration to the server, but since
the user is already cached in, the NoOp priority 1 extension does not
get re-created in the regcontext.  I must perform a >reload
chan_sip.so, wait till the new registration hits and then the NoOp
priority 1 extension is created again in the regcontext.

This is a problem, if anything happens to the dialplan and it has to
be reloaded, we loose active registered sip devices in the regcontext,
then all hell breaks loose.

Has anyone else come across this and has a work around?  Ultimately,
I'd like to see the regcontext function ensure the NoOp priority 1
extension is re-newed each registration cycle, whatever the time
parameter is set on.

Thanks.

JR
--