[asterisk-users] Is there any Asterisk controllable thermostat?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Dec 4 08:21:46 MST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 11:04:52PM -0500, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
> I am wondering if there is any such thermostat available which can be
> controlled from Asterisk. Like you call your home pbx, dial some extension,
> e.g. 333 and it asks to set the temperature, you enter a temperature, and it
> sets the thermostat to that temperature. This thermostat will be very
> useful, e.g. when you're coming back home after a few days and now its
> snowing and you want home to be warm on your arrival, you can turn the
> furnace on an hour before your arrival.
>
> Is there any such thermostat available, and for that matter any other
> Asterisk controllable home automation devices?

The first question you should ask yourself is: "can Linux [or any other
specific OS you run Asterisk on] contro a thermostat". Once you managed
to do that, connecting it to Asterisk shouldn't be too big a deal. If
all else fails, use AGI for quick&dirty patching with external scripts.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com