[asterisk-users] Siemens Gigaset C450 IP vs S450 IP

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Sat Dec 2 02:34:18 MST 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 29.11.2006, 20:48 -0500 schrieb Andrew Joakimsen:
> Does anyone know where to source the Siemens Gigaset phones in North
> America? I called 1-800-SIEMENS and was told the Gigaset range is no
> longer marketed here since a few years ago. How far from being FCC
> compliant is the DECT standard?

Probably ages, in DECT's European incarnation (there seem to be other
DECTs defined, but Siemens AFAIK only produces DECTs for Europe).

The reason is that DECT uses frequency ranges (~1900 MHz) that are also
in use with the GSM1900 network now increasingly popular in the US. This
frequency range was not in use before GSM, so with the introduction of
T-Mobile(*) etc, using DECT in US had become a bad idea.
Europe, and most parts of the rest of the world, use GSM900/GSM1800
which do not interfere with DECT.

There is information about these frequencies etc in the wikipedia, for
example at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM#Verwendete_Frequenzen
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT#Funk.C3.BCbertragung
(in German, the English site probably contains similar info)

(*) The fact that T-Mobile is of German origin seems not to be
well-known in US. I can actually see their HQ when I step out of my
house, on the other side of the river Rhein; we have some T-M billing
system database admin people in your local LUG :)

BR
Anselm