[asterisk-users] Answer Supervision problem

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 08:52:08 MST 2006

Hi Timur,

I just had to deal with a similar realization myself.  We wanted to set up
something similar to what Vonage does with simuring where Asterisk would
ring a local extension and a cell phone or landline at the same time and
route to the call to which ever answered first.  Seemed simple enough.
However, Asterisk automatically set the outgoing zap channel to "Answered"
as soon as it started ringing.  Upon further investigation I found that this
is not an exception but a rule when it comes to plain analog POT's lines.
At least in N. America.  They generally do NOT have any type of answer
supervision.  It is possible to get lines with polarity reversal for answer
supervision but that may be a special order and not available in all areas.
You would have to talk to your telco provider about this

When your dealing with Telco's, the 2 things you DO NOT want to deal with
are any requests involving the words "special" and "not available in all
areas".  They have a hard enough time getting 100 year old POT's lines
right.  At least in my area.  You may have to speak with several different
people at the telco before you find someone who even knows what answer
supervision means.

To my knowledge, the only thing the analog cards+zaptel+Asterisk can detect
for answer supervision with Analog POT's is polarity reversal.  There is a
feature in Asterisk called "callprogress" which attempts to listen to the
line and determine answer/hangup/busy status but it is NOT reliable at all
so not recommended.