[asterisk-users] How to park calls on a specific extension

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Fri Dec 1 08:28:55 MST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:50:21PM -0500, Tom Rymes wrote:
>> for example: In your example above where they can't figure out how to
>> transfer, why don't you edit features.conf and define the transfer
>> key as # or something. Then, when they have a call for "Bill" across
>> they way, they can do this:
>
> In this case don't they need to have a t in every Dial as well?
> And then there's the other direction.  Sometimes (actually quite
> often) I like to transfer a call that I dialed, which requires
> the "T" but means you interfere with typing touch tones to IVRs
> that you call.

I'd have to double-check on that, but I am fairly certain the you
would indeed need to put the 'T' and 't' options in the dial string.
I think you would want to arrange your dialplan to make sure that you
don't inadvertently make it so that incoming callers can transfer
their own calls coming in. In other words, Dial command for incoming
calls would have 'T' and for outgoing calls would have 't'. Double
check the docs, though, because I am pulling this from (spotty)
memory. As for not interfering with IVRs, I would suggest a two
character transfer, such as #8, which reads "#T" if you look at the
keypad. Tell your users, "Press #T to transfer a call." I also use #7
for pickup, as it is "#P". Same sort of idea as using *86 or "*VM"
for voicemail.

> No, almost all IP phones have a transfer button, the nice thing
> would be if somehow the UI for that could have been standardized,
> at least for the phones that don't have screens and soft buttons
> (which can extend the interface because they can show it to you).

Better configurability of the SIP phones would be nice. We use Cisco
7940 phones, and changing the soft buttons on the bottom of the
screen to hold commonly used functions would be nice, but AFAIK, that
cannot be done in the SIP firmware.

Tom