[asterisk-users] 200+ analog phones connected to FXS modules

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 00:55:55 MST 2006

--- Dovid B <asteriskusers at dovid.net> wrote:

> You can get a basic VOIP phone for the same price
> that it will cost you for
> a FXS port. As far as wiring you can go with a bit
> more expensive phone and
> get a dual port with POE (if they have an existing
> computer network).

It all depends.
http://www.icstel.com has an interesting product. It'a
a 48-FXS-port VoIP gateway (product name TopGate). It
interfaces with the Asterisk server through ethernet
so it looks better than other solutions posted on this
list (such as the USB2 product Astribank from Xorcom
http://www.xorcom.com/astribank/features-32.html).
Mainly because I trust a gigabit ethernet more than
USB2 on Linux.

Unfortunately there isn't much information on the
48-port TopGate product.

So as far as prices are concerned, I found that a
48-port TopGate should cost at most 2500 euros with
vat. With 4 of these we could handle 192 of our analog
phones. The total cost would be 10000 €.
A basic IP phone costs 80 euros (hard to find a
cheaper and "still decent" phone). So the cost would
be 192 * 80 = 15360 euros.
5360 euros is a 50+% increase.
And besides we already have the phone cabling
infrastructure set and it would be too bad if we
couldn't recycle it somehow.

However, I don't know if these VoIP gateways are
really effective. Has anyone already used something
similar?

Thanks