[asterisk-users] File structure question

Jay Moore jaymoore at accu-com.com
Thu Aug 31 13:52:00 MST 2006

I have a question on how I can better organize my .conf files.

I have 3 different groups of people who use my VoIP service. Let's call
them 'Office', 'Factory' and 'Public'. In my Asterisk directory, I have
created three folders: 'office', 'factory' and 'public', inside each of
which has a sip.conf and an extensions.conf file with appropriate
account and extension information.

Say, for example, I need to limit some users of the 'Public' group so
they cannot make calls outside the building. Obviously I would create
two separate contexts. One for users who can make calls outside the
build, and one for users who cannot. I would then assign the appropriate
context to each user.

Right now, I have each appropriate context defined in the main
extensions.conf. What I'd like to do is reduce the clutter in
extensions.conf and move each context into the extensions.conf in the
appropriate subfolder. How do I tell the main extensions.conf file to
include the other extensions.conf files without putting an #include
<file> in a context of its own?

I hope what I've explained makes sense. If not, please ask questions and
I'll try to answer.

Thanks much,
Jay