[asterisk-users] SPA-942 Sound Quality

Jeremiah Millay jeremiah at rockriver.net
Thu Aug 31 13:18:10 MST 2006

For those of you out there with SPA-942s in production, do any of you
have issue with the sound quality when using g.729 as the preferred
codec? We are noticing terrible sound quality on the other end of a call
made to a spa-942. Everything sounds crystal clear at the SPA itself but
sounds like trash on the opposite end. After unplugging the spa and
plugging in a Cisco 7960 to same ethernet cable and using the same codec
we experience no problems. Its not a bandwidth issue. Packets are marked
the same on the Cisco and SPA to match the QoS policies in our routers.
I've tried using the default firmware, version 12 and the latest version
of the firmware and still no luck. VAD is disabled. I even disabled the
jitter buffer (which I think only affects the inbound quality which
sounds just fine).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love the backlight on these
phones, and the features are great but the quality is just not going to
work for me as it is right now.
Thanks,
Jeremiah