[asterisk-users] Re: GSM gateway and FXO ATA

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Aug 31 11:14:34 MST 2006

On 2006-08-26 18:35:27 -0700, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> said:

> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:02:51PM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:
>> On 2006-08-22 01:59:09 -0700, Tomislav Parčina <tparcina at lama.hr>
> said:
>>
>>> Hi list!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to connect Analog GSM gateway (2N Ateus) with Asterisk 1.2.
> 5
>>> over Grandstream HT488 ATA.
>> <snip>
>> Personally I found the FXO port on the HT-488 to unworkable except as a
>
>> backup for power outages.
>>
>> I found several problems with it.
>>
>> 1) serious echo issues (I have a long loop).
>
> But the OP will have a very short loop.
>
>> 2) If the phone is answered on the first ring the call goes off to la
>> la land.  Explaining to users (or myself) that you need to wait for the
>
>> second audible ring on the handset's before answering isn't acceptable.
>
> The "user" here seems to be the GSM gateway.
>
>> 3) The device hangs and reboots itself occasionally.
>
> Finally something relevant.

Thanks so much for your critique!  Usually when I buy hardware I like
to know if it works, even if I plan to use it in a limited manor. I
have found it's good to know how wel it works so that it can repurposed
for other applications when/if the time comes.

Although I see that your point is correct regarding some of my points
not being applicable to this installation, I still feel it's relevant
to the hardware he mentioned.

Sorry to bother you,
Marty