[asterisk-users] Per DID Codec Negotiation

Damien Gabrielson damien.gabrielson at mdci.ca
Thu Aug 31 09:46:29 MST 2006

Hi Everyone,

 From my research I believe I am asking the impossible but perhaps I am
missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I receive many DIDs from the same SIP provider coming from the same IP.
I have a peer setup in sip.conf for this provider and this is where the
codec negotiation happens. The problem comes in when I have to send a
given SIP call to a device that only accepts g729. I have to accept ulaw
from the provider so that fax will work and transcoding to g729 is not a
good option because it takes up CPU resources and costs extra money.
Since the provider supports g729, I would like to receive calls for some
DIDs as g729 and the rest as ulaw. Is there any possible way to have
this kind of configuration when all the DIDs come from the same IP and
there is no SIP registration? As a side note, if I accepted the calls
through IAX from the provider and sent them out as SIP, would this help?

Thanks,
Damien Gabrielson