[asterisk-users] Fax with asterisk?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Aug 31 07:48:50 MST 2006

Quoting Roger Schreiter <roger at planinternet.de>:

> Matthias Fechner schrieb:
>> yes I found spandsp but it will do everything in software.
>> Is it not a good idea to use my modem for the fax stuff?

I have the configuration below and its fine (usr usb modem plugged back
into the
asterisk machine with hylafax) but I intend to replace with a software only
config now that they are mature enough. didn't exist yet when this setup was
built. it eliminates a device, some cables, and frees up a channel bank port.

I have still found though the odd fax just won't go through, so I have a real
fax machine hooked up that is used for outbound anyway, and have people dial
that extension if the automatic setup just refuses to work with the fax on
their end.

> Hi,
>
> ok, you want to use an external faxmodem?
>
> Something like that:
>

> outside (PSTN or anythin else)
> asterisk box
>    | (via analogue phone line)
> external faxmodem
>    | RS232 cable or similar
> PC with faxmodem support
>

> Yes, that's possible. You will need an ATA or in your asterisk
> box a card for the analogue phone line.
>

> Ok, what is your question now? Please ask more precisely!
> (Or is "Yes, that's possible" already the desired answer?)
>

> Roger.

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com