[asterisk-users] iax vs. sip?

Simon Woodhead woodheads at esms.com
Thu Aug 31 03:07:03 MST 2006

Hi Steven,

The provider's implementation will have a bigger affect than any differences
within Asterisk, e.g. how they are load-balancing and whether in fact SIP is
serviced by Asterisk at all. Compared like-for-like within Asterisk we find
there is not a lot in it, with each having their own pros and cons. We
support both and whilst we have more customers on SIP than IAX, currently
favour IAX for new customers where they are undecided given lower support
overhead and simplified load-balancing. I'd recommend you try both with the
provider you're considering.

Simon

www.esms.com