[asterisk-users] * during voicemail greeting to access mailbox

Marty Mastera marty at m3resources.com
Wed Aug 30 20:39:11 MST 2006

I'm trying to allow access to an individuals mailbox by having them dial
their own DID, wait for their voicemail greeting and pressing * (to be
followed by a password prompt).

For some reason I thought that this functionality was built-in to
Voicemail but must not be since it doesn't work...(I do see * being
pressed in debug logs but no action follows).  I did find the following
in the wiki:

Also. during the prompt if the caller presses:
 '*' - the call jumps to extension 'a' in the current voicemail context.
This needs an example
 '#' - the greeting and/or instructions are stopped and recording starts
immediately.

When using the zero '0' and star '*' it's important to note that the
context you placed the application voicemail in is irrelvant, it's the
context for the voicemail box that we're looking for in the dialplan for
the jump to the 'a' or 'o' extention.
I tested this using a macro to call voicemail and pressing '0' and/or
'*' first jumped back to the macro that called voicemail, to look for
'o' and/or 'a' in that macro, if it failed it jumpted to the context
defined in voicemail.conf. I'm running CVS version 1.07

I have added an 'a' extension to the voicemail context but still
nothing.  Does anyone have this working? btw I'm using 1.2.1

  Marty