[asterisk-users] iax vs. sip?

BerkHolz, Steven StevenBerkHolz at TESCOGroup.com
Wed Aug 30 19:38:35 MST 2006

I have no NAT issues.  My PBX is multihomed and the outside IP is locked
down for all except IAX and SIP ports.

With the current version of asterisk, which transport is better right
now?

I am looking at 6-10 simultaneous calls over a half T1.

I am not asking about codecs here, I am asking about SIP vs. IAX if the
provider does either. (we are looking at testing Teliax next)

I have seen posts about jitter in IAX, so I am not sure if SIP might be
better to use right now.

Also, since IAX uses the same port for all of the calls, the call
separation has to be done higher in the OSI stack. I do not know if this
is better or worse or neither.

Thank You,

Steven BerkHolz
- MCSA - MCSE -