[asterisk-users] oddity with TDM400P / Asterisk setup

Ted Wallingford ted at macvoip.com
Wed Aug 30 14:39:55 MST 2006

Hi List,

I am working with an Asterisk server running on Fedora Core 4. It has
two TDM400P cards installed. There are 6 trunk ports and 2 (unused)
analog line ports.  There are 5 Polycom SoundPoint 501 SIP phones
connected to the server, and a Linksys 24-port powered switch
connecting everything.  The * version running is 1.2.7.1.   All of
the ports on the switch with voice devices, including the server,
have a service class of 5, while non-voice devices are connected to
other ports that have a service class of best effort.

The problem, which began this morning, is very elusive.  Calls-in-
progress from zap-to-sip or sip-to-zap or sip-to-Asterisk will drop
at odd times during the call, anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes
into the call.   At the same time the call drops, my SSH session to
the server will hang. After 10 to 15 seconds, the output and input
from ssh session appears on my terminal and I am able to resume
working in the shell.  Zap-to-Asterisk doens't seem to cause the
problem. Only when I dial through to a SIP device does it seem to hang.

Top reveals nothing out the ordinary, utilization wise, the disk has
plenty of free space, and the arp cache doesn't ever indicate a
duplicate IP address with the server's NIC, which I thought might
have been the problem.  I also attempted to move the server to
another port on the switch. No improvement.

Anybody have a problem like this?

--
Ted Wallingford
Best Technology Strategy LLC