[asterisk-users] IAX call drops, recent instability

Chris Earle cearle at cbltech.ca
Wed Aug 30 06:09:23 MST 2006

Hi all

I've had a number of servers, all generally running Asterisk 1.0.9-1.0.11.1,
with TDM cards for analog lines.  They have been in production use for many
months, handling incoming calls, and also allowing daily inter-server calls
over IAX (transfers, extension calls etc)

All of a sudden, in the last 3-4 weeks, with little to no changes to any
config or setup on the servers -- a large number of IAX-IAX calls are
dropping.  It is driving me nuts because I can't pinpoint any change in the
system that might be a catalyst ... nor rectify with any modifications to
iax.conf, zapata.conf etc....

All servers are iax.conf 'friend' entries.......... standardized with
disallow=all, allow=gsm, and allow=ulaw
jitterbuffer=off
trunk=yes

I have explored a number of theories and none seem to be really helping the
situation.  The call drops are not consistent, so it is hard to say.

One thing I have considered is shared IRQs on some of the servers --- BUT
while I know this can affect TDM installations -- these machines have been
in production with no drops for months!

So does anyone have any suggestions as to why all of a sudden IAX calls and
my asterisk network would become so unstable?

Any suggestions appreciated

--
Chris Earle