[asterisk-users] MixMonitor and g729 licenses

jurgen thinger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 22:43:16 MST 2006

Hi,

I recently bought a handful of g729 licenses and moved all my
equipment over to use it. We terminate most of our calls with a
provider that supports g729, so it's g729 all the way through from the
phone on the desk to the provider. Asterisk works very well in
passthrough mode, simply moving the bits from the phone to the
provider. Good work.

The problem happens when I record a call using MixMonitor. Even though
it's recording natively in g729, a single call uses 2 decoders and one
encoder! The only explanation I can think of for that is that
MixMonitor is transcoding the g729 streams to something else, muxing
them, then encoding the muxed stream out to g729. This seems
ridiculous - why go through all that work and licenses? Does anyone
know for sure what's going on here? I could go back to using Monitor,
I suppose, but MixMonitor is somewhat less hacky.

Thanks

....jurgen

--
thinger at gmail.com is jurgen's gmail address.