[asterisk-users] Asterisk with PABX

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Aug 28 11:35:29 MST 2006

<kissing up some more>
FYI, you both are right!  Getting started with AAH/Trixbox can be very
valuable, but relying upon it can be very limiting.
</kissing up some more>

I started w/ AAH, then went back and learned the dialplan apps,
scripting, etc.  For some guys like me, it's easier to start with a
working (if limited) system, and then tinker with it, break it, etc.
After breaking a few systems I then went back and did a vanilla install
to learn some more.  I ended up settling on a compromise: I load Trixbox
and then make a bunch of manual mods.  I get the best of both worlds - a
system that has all of the prereqs loaded for me, plus a GUI for stuff
that I don't want to do a cmd line and also the power and flexibility of
hand-editing my .conf files to get exactly what I want out of the
dialplan.

For those wondering how to get started, I can highly recommend STARTING
with Trixbox, but definitely don't STOP with Trixbox.  After you play
with a pre-installed, working system, go out and get your hands dirty on
a plain install.  You'll be better off for it in the long run.  Having
both GUI and cmd line experience will make you a well-rounded Asterisk
user.

-MC

They