[asterisk-users] Will Asterisk work with Exchange 2007 UM?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Aug 25 16:46:44 MST 2006

blawrence at qwest.net wrote:
> I'm faced with the need to create forensic test data for an Exchange 2007
> server with unified messaging. Microsoft has a list of tested PBX and IP
> gateway products that are known to work (below) but I'd prefer to use
> Asterisk if possible. From everything I've read it appears that since
> Exchange uses SIP over IP and Asterisk uses SIP over UDP this will not
> work. I don't have a lot of experience with Asterisk but I was wondering if
> anyone knows of a plan to allow Asterisk to run SIP over IP or if there are
> any SIP gateways that will make this conversion. Reading through the
> Asterisk/Digium documentation and the asterisk-users list archive didn't
> turn up any clues. I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2007/productevaluation
> /sysreqs.mspx#pbx
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brian Lawrence

Brian,

	Your best bet is to use SER or OpenSER.  Because either SER supports
SIP over both TCP and UDP you can use them as a proxy between Asterisk
and Exchange 2007.  You cold even run OpenSER/SER on the same machine as
Asterisk.  If you had some kind of IP level security in place a pretty
basic ser.cfg would do the trick, if not you would have to setup some
authentication and stuff...

--
Kristian Kielhofner