[asterisk-users] voicemailmain

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Aug 25 01:11:32 MST 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 04:08:01PM -0400, existx wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have a Debian box using Debian's Asterisk package.

Just to be clear about the version: I assume that the version is:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/comm/asterisk
(1:1.0.7.dfsg.1-2sarge3 or 1:1.0.7.dfsg.1-2)

If you don't lack disk space on that system, than install the package
asterisk-doc . It will install a huge pile of unnecessary API docs. But
also /usr/share/doc/asterisk-doc/examples with the sample configs.

> People can leave
> voicemail for the extensions that are setup in the configuration, and
> asterisk e-mail's the user a .wav file (voicemail.conf). This works
> perfect.
>
> However, I want to have VoicemailMain sit on an extension so people
> can call in, change their greeting, listen too voicemail, etc.
>
> extensions.conf:
> ------------------------
> exten => 2999,1,Answer
> exten => 2999,2,Wait,2
> exten => 2999,3,Voicemailmain()
>
> My understand is, that this should allow any user to call up. Enter in
> their mailbox number (currently the same as their extension) and
> password. However, I cannot dial this extension after reloading
> asterisk.

This is normally an issue with detecting the DTMFs in the call. What
phones are the users using? How are they connected to Asterisk?

If those are SIP phones, then both sterisk and the phones need to agree
on the DTMF encoding method. See the dtmfmode option in sip.conf.

(Note that 1.0 does not have dtmfmode=auto)

Also: VoicemailMain can take a argument for a username. Usually the
caller's caller ID will also match its mailbox number (at least for
internal calls). In such a case you can use the following hack:

exten => _299[89],1,Answer
exten => _299[89],2,Wait,2 ; try waiting just 1?
exten => _2998,3,Voicemailmain(s${CALLERIDNUM})
exten => _2999,3,Voicemailmain()

(Note that this is asterisk 1.0 syntax. In Asterisk 1.2 use
Voicemailmain(${CALLERID(num)},s)

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org