[asterisk-users] Re: Asterisk IAXmodem HylaFax?

Warrick Zedi wzedi at noojeeit.com.au
Wed Aug 23 16:22:28 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:41:22PM +1000, Warrick Zedi wrote:
>
>> Tzafrir,
>>
>> When last did you look at AsterFax? What do you believe is required to
>> set it up? In what way are there "wheel reinventings" in either HylaFax
>> or AsterFax?
>>
>> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Running OpenOffice on the server to render OpenOffice/MS-Office
> documents automatically is something that will hopefully work well. If
> both copies have exactly the same fonts. And exactly the same
> definitions. And there are no other compatibility bugs.
>
> Defining the fax number in an email message is not exactly a natural
> operation, IMHO.
>
> I rather do the fax rendering on the client side. That way, if the
> client tries to send out a wrongly-rendered file, you automatically get
> it.

Point taken.

1.0 has just been released. As AsterFax becomes more widely adopted
we'll get more feedback and will have to watch out for compatibility
issues.  I believe we'll be able to address those if they arise.

I suppose you've got a point about the fax number in the email message
but then a fax number really is just an address so instead of putting a
name at someplace.com you're putting a number at someplace to com.

But you have just given me an idea. Maybe we should provide some sort of
name resolution feature where you could put name at someplace.com and
AsterFax can lookup the fax number. Hmmm, sounds like a good idea, I'll
have to think about it.