[asterisk-users] USB GSM gateway for Asterisk?

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Wed Aug 23 10:43:42 MST 2006

There's been some (futile?) effort a while back attempting to get a
Bluetooth capable phone integrated into asterisk as a channel.  The
idea, of course, was to make it possible to have asterisk utilize a
cellular connection for backup, calls on free nights/weekends, or free
in-network minutes.

How about skipping the phone entirely?  I just found this --
http://www.falcom.de/?id=283

It's an integrated quad-band GSM engine with a USB connection.  Claims
to be able to do data, fax, voice, SMS/MMS etc, even EDGE speeds.
Prices I found are 170 Euros or US$225.  Considering the alternative
($20 USB dongle, $180 BT capable phone), this seems like a very
competitive option.

I'd expect it to be in Falcom's best interest to support development
efforts as it would open the asterisk market to them.  Anyone up for
creating a bounty-page for this?

Voice traffic would be the first priority, but SMS would certainly be a
desired option.  Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to utilize EDGE
as an emergency backup for my network, allowing at least mail traffic
and such.