[asterisk-users] Cisco PIX firewall and nat=yes

Peder at NetworkOblivion peder at networkoblivion.com
Wed Aug 23 09:29:15 MST 2006

If you are running a new version of PIX sw (6.3.4 or 6.3.5), then leave
fixup on and set "nat=no".  The PIX is the only firewall that I have
seen that truly does nat correctly.  It nat's both the source and dest
inside the packet.  You can even do reinvite with multiple phones behind
a PIX and it works correctly.  One other thing to check.  If you have
qualify off, then you need to set the phone to re-register in less time
that the SIP timeout value in the PIX.  For example, if the timeout is
10 mins, then the phone needs to have a register value less than 10 mins.

Scott Pinhorne wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use a PIX 515 and had a similar problem when I started.
> I turned on the fixup for SIP (as well as having nat in sip entry) and
> it seems to do the trick for me.
>
> Good Luck
> SP
>
> Bill Gibbs wrote:
>> Also the phone can dial out from behind the PIX…but obviously not
>> receive calls.
>>

>> Bill

>> *Subject:* [asterisk-users] Cisco PIX firewall and nat=yes
>>

>> I have a Polycom 501 that works great from behind simple firewalls,
>> like Dlink, etc however behind a Cisco PIX Firewall I see the register
>> messages for the extensions on the Asterisk CLI but when I do a sip
>> show peers I see:
>>

>> 702/702                    x.x.x.x     D   N      54297    UNREACHABLE
>>
>> 701/701                    x.x.x.x     D   N      54297    UNREACHABLE
>>
>> 700/700                    x.x.x.x     D   N      54297    UNREACHABLE
>>

>> But I see stuff like
>>
>> n       Registered SIP '702' at x.x.x.x port 54297 expires 60
>>

>> I have a single phone with multiple extensions in the example above.
>> As a test I changed that phone to a single extension (700), I see the
>> Registered line but it still says UNREACHABLE.
>>

>> I know the Asterisk config is good because every device (soft, hard
>> phone) works and I know the NAT works because I’ve tested that out.
>>

>> So…I’m thinking it has something to do with the PIX.  Any ideas?
>>

>> Bill

Network stuff you didn't know....
http://www.networkoblivion.com