[asterisk-users] Hint extension issue - bug?

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Wed Aug 23 07:06:23 MST 2006

Woah there...  Relax, man.  I will concur that there are some
inconsistencies and things are not exactly how they should be.  I'm
mostly just pointing out that, for various reasons that I'm not
particularly well-equipped to discuss (oej would be able to regale you
with the necessary history if you require it), this is how it works.

It works that way intentionally, and is not a bug per se.  It is an
unfortunate design decision, but one which was necessary in order to
implement the functionality without requiring a full rewrite.

But what I previously said stands:  do not use friend, it gains you
nothing and breaks certain things.

I know that when Olle gets the time, the full rewrite of the sip channel
will do away with the user/peer/friend nonsense (among many, many other
things) that exists today.  But that is not what exists in Asterisk at
the moment, and I was mostly trying to point out how things are now.

Anyway, I'll be the last to acuse you of not putting your money where
your mouth is.  I know you've contributed to Asterisk (both code and
wisdom on the lists), probably much more than I have.  No worries there.

Regards,
- Brad