[asterisk-users] No retry after DNS failure

Remco Barendse asterisk at barendse.to
Wed Aug 23 04:07:59 MST 2006

> If memory serves correctly, most of the above has been raised as issues in the
> past and the suggested work around has been to run a dns caching server on the
> asterisk box.
>
> FWIW, I always use IP addresses instead of dns names. But, I don't have to
> deal with dynamic ip changes of any device either.

I have also been bitten by this issue a number of times. When your
internet connection is down a caching nameserver will not do you any good.

This is an extremely irritating 'feature' of asterisk. I have the same
issue with my iax providers.

If outgoing calls are failing via voip I route my calls out through pstn.
It is very frustrating to see * routing all those expensive calls out via
pstn because it is not retrying to resolve the hostnames.

Furthermore I have seen providers doing some sort of load balancing by
returning a different ip host to send the call to on new dns lookups. This
will not work if * doesn't refresh the ip lookups.

I am aware that it could mean serious delays for a call to be completed if
the dns lookup was done for every call but surely it should be possible
for * to keep re-trying to resolve an ip address for previous failed
entries let's say every minute or so? The added load is negligable.