[asterisk-users] Prompts recording for Asterisk

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 21:00:28 MST 2006

Nitin,

I'm sure others have better advice but there's no "best" format per
se. Whatever makes asterisk and more importantly the CPU work less in
playing those prompts is probably best. from what I understand (*)
picks up the best suited format based on the capabilities of the
channel and endpoint. If you have endpoints that connect using
different codecs, you'd want to have the prompts in all of those
formats on your machine and (*) will pick up the relevant ones thus
avoiding transcoding. You can find all information on this page:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+sound+files. What I'm going to
do is have the prompts be recorded in a wav (44khz) and then
downsample them to 8kHz 16 bits windows wav. Then use the Asterisk
'convert' utility to convert all prompts to all diff formats I expect
people to use.

Hope this helps