[asterisk-users] No retry after DNS failure

John Marvin jm-asterisk at themarvins.org
Mon Aug 21 23:28:24 MST 2006

Today I had a brief power outage which caused the Asterisk server and
DSL modem to reboot. The Asterisk server came up before the internet
connection was working, so it failed when try to look up some of the
hosts for my outbound voip providers in sip.conf.

Asterisk never recovered from that, i.e. it never retried so those
providers were unavailable. The only provider that was still available
was one that I had entered the IP address for, rather than the host name.

Have any of you run into this issue, and if so, how have you solved it?
It seems that since Asterisk periodically tries to reregister it should
also retry the DNS lookup at the same time, rather than never trying
again if the lookup fails. This would indicate that Asterisk would also
fail if the voip provider changed the IP address of its server because
Asterisk would never see the new IP address.

Here are some workarounds I thought of, but none of them are
particularly good:

1) Get a UPS so my machines won't reboot when the power fails. This
actually might not solve anything, because I'm connected to a remote
DSLAM in my neighborhood that I believe does not have backup power, so
it won't work when the power is out. But perhaps Asterisk is more robust
after it has booted (I'll have to test this).

2) Change all host names in sip.conf to IP addresses. This is kind of
ugly and also will break when a voip provider changes their IP address.
There is a reason for DNS!

3) Have a cron job send asterisk periodic "sip reload" commands.

4) Delay the start of asterisk until the internet connection has come
up. This could cause me to be without any phones if there is any delay
or failure in bringing up the network (I also have zap channels and PSTN
lines).

5) A hybrid of ideas 3 and 4 above: Have a startup script that waits for
the internet connection to come up, and then sends a "sip reload"
command to Asterisk.

Any other ideas?

John