[asterisk-users] Text to Speech

Shane Young asterisk2 at shaneyoung.com
Mon Aug 21 14:13:03 MST 2006

Quoting Kevin Savoy <ksavoy at novo1.com>:

> Can someone recommend a good text to speech engine that is usable by
> Asterisk? I have tried the Festival one and it just doesn't cut it for
> commercial applications.

I like Cepstral.

Using the information here:
http://www.oldskoolphreak.com/tfiles/voip/installing_app_cepstral.txt

You can install app_cepstral after you have installed the package and libs from Cepstral.

Then you can do something like this:

[macro-cepstral-demo]
exten => s,1,Cepstral(<voice name="Duchess">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Duchess.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Walter">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Walter.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Shouty">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Shouty.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="William">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is William.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Whispery">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Whispery.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Robin">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Robin.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Linda">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Linda.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Emily">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Emily.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Diane">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Diane.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="David">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is David.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Duncan">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Duncan.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Damien">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Damien.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Callie">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Callie.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Dog">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Dog.</voice>)
exten => s,n,Cepstral(<voice name="Amy">Hello and welcome to the world of text to speech using
Cepstral.  My name is Amy.</voice>)

--Shane