[asterisk-users] Cancelling outbound call: is Asterisk behaving correctly

Wolfgang Hottgenroth woho at hottis.de
Mon Aug 21 08:14:40 MST 2006

Hi,

we have a setup with an Asterisk, an openser and a Cisco 5400 in place.
Asterisk is the frontend to the users, providing registering  and RTP
proxy functionality and openser is the gate-keeper of the Cisco.

I can call in and out, everything is fine so far.

But there is one strange fact: when I place a outbound call (from a VoIP
phone to the asterisk, from the asterisk to the openser, from the
openser to the Cisco, from the Cisco into the PSTN) and cancel this call
by hanging up the VoIP phone before the call was establish, I can see
the correct message flow for a cancelation (Asterisk says CANCEL to
openser, openser says "200 cancelling" to Asterisk, openser talks to the
Cisco, finally openser says "487 Request cancelled" to Asterisk and
Asterisk says ACK).

So far so fine. But then, Asterisk says CANCEL again. With the same
call-id, the same tags, just completely the same CANCEL as before. Why?
I was under the impression, that it has correctly identified the
messages from openser, since it has answered with ACK.

I've already compared this message-flow to the one of the other
direction (inbound call, cancelled from PSTN phone), which correctly
ends with the ACK. I can not find any significant difference.

I've attached on ngrep trace. 212.153.11.54 is asterisk, 212.153.11.19
is openser and 146.188.127.31 is the Cisco.

Can anyone give me any hint?

Thanks,
Wolfgang