[asterisk-users] Ringtone/gentone/busy and g729

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Aug 18 08:15:27 MST 2006

Hello everyone,

	I am still on my quest to build a g729 compatible (yet license free)
Asterisk system.

	Here is the latest...  It seems that when Asterisk needs to indicate
ringing or busy to a SIP channel that has already been answered (like
with an IVR) it plays back audio using the values in ringtone.h and
busy.h (generated by gentone during compilation).  It seems that these
are stored internally as ulaw audio files, and Asterisk simply plays
them back when needed.

	What I would like to do, as a hack (for now), is have a MOH class
called ringtone (I'm not worried about busy - yet) with some .g729 files
that are an EXACT replica of those ulaw files from above, just converted
to g729 (I can handle that part).  That way I can just use m(ringtone)
as an argument to Dial().

	So, the final questions are:

1)  Is my understanding of this "problem" correct?

2)  Is this the simplest fix, or am I making this more complicated than
it needs to be?  I know that I can find some ringtones on the web, but I
would like to have an EXACT replica of what Asterisk uses.

3)  How can I get the sounds used by Asterisk from ringtone.h and busy.h
in a ulaw (or slin) file?

I'm looking forward to your ideas...

Thanks!

--