[asterisk-users] Equivalent of channel switching?

Barzilai barcho at creacion.com.uy
Thu Aug 17 23:12:29 MST 2006

I still haven't figured out what is the "best practices" or Asterisk-way
to do traditional switching between channels in Asterisk. I come from
traditional computer telephony where there are buses such as MVIP, with
streams and timeslots.
Asterisk, being born as a PBX solves most of the problems by "dialing a
new extension".

I'll present a ridiculous and hypothetical situation:

User A has already dialed into Asterisk and is listening to some music
through the phone.
User B has already dialed into Asterisk and is listening to some weather
forecast IVR.
Event X happens (the Moon has aligned with Saturn) so we want A and B to
start talking to each other.

This doesn't involve DIALING a NEW extension, I guess... both of them
are already inside the system.

I can think of some convoluted way to do it; how do I do it the Asterisk
way?

BarZ