[asterisk-users] Sip suppression

Dean at INKnBITs dean.bath at inknbits.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 04:20:59 MST 2006

Hi,

When I make a call using asterisk (SIP - provider - PSTN), it is cutting out
all the background noise, making it a bit like a walkie talkie when they
stop talking. Is this something asterisk is doing?!?

I have a 2MB leased line just for calls, so bandwidth is fine, I have tried
with G711a/u and GSM codec but they all do the same. I'm using a Polycom
IP501 to connect to asterisk, but have the VAD set to 0 in the config file
to disable Voice Activity Detection on the phones.

Could it be my provider trying to do this? As I have noticed on the CLI
'NOTICE[2530]: rtp.c:593 process_rfc3389: Comfort noise support incomplete
in Asterisk (RFC 3389). Please turn off on client if possible.'

Thanks,
Dean.