[asterisk-users] Asterisk Real Time and sip.conf file used at thesame time

kjcsb kjcsb at orcon.net.nz
Thu Aug 17 01:18:00 MST 2006

>I guess my problem might be that, because I pretend Asterisk to use my
>sip.conf
> static configuration file and also MySQL tables referenced in
> extconfig.conf
> like this:
>
> [settings]
> sipusers => mysql,asterisk,sip
> sippeers => mysql,asterisk,sip
> voicemail => mysql,asterisk,voicemail
>
> While I'm using one thing I can't use the other right???

Based on my limited knowledge you *can* use both at the same time.

Any Sip details created in the "sip" table in your "asterisk" database will
be available immediately to Asterisk. They will not be reported in the
command line if you enter sip show peers. This is sometimes called realtime
dynamic.

Any Sip entries in sip.conf will *also* be available to Asterisk but only on
reload e.g. sip reload. These will be reported in the command line if you
enter sip show peers.

However to complicate matters further there are two additional things to be
aware of:
realtime caching
realtime static

Realtime caching loads the sip details from the database in a similar way to
how the details from sip.conf are loaded i.e. both the details from sip.conf
and from the database will be reported if you enter sip show peers. However
changes made in the database are not immediately available - you need to
reload just like if you made a change in sip.conf. To enabled this you must
set rtcachefriends=yes in sip.conf

Realtime static is totally different to the realtime discussed above. It
uses a different database structure and is intended to replace the Asterisk
static files. Beyond that I'm unsure.

Personally I think "realtime" is a very misleading name. Extconfig would be
a better term. Extconfig allows Asterisk to read its configuration files
from any external source. Asterisk can be configured to source certain
configuration files (e.g. sip.conf) internally (the default which will read
from a text file) or (these are mutually exclusive) from an external source
such as a database (so-called realtime static). *In addition*, Extconfig can
read configuration information from an external source on-the-fly (realtime
dynamic) or cached (realtime cached).

If anything I've said above is incorrect I'd sure appreciate an expert
correcting me.

Cameron