[asterisk-users] Asterisk 'Hosting'

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Wed Aug 16 11:51:55 MST 2006

Use a virtual private asterisk system.  You'll be happier if you did.
http://www.telephreak.org/papers/vpa/

> > Has anyone ever tried to run multiple instances of Asterisk
> on a single system, running each with a different username,
> and each in a separate base directory? Something like
> /home/pbx/business-1, home/pbx/business-2 etc?
> >
> > Did it work? I assume for every service that Asterisk runs,
> on each instance, you'd have to use a different port numbers,
> which may get confusing. Each businesses phones would have to
> be configred with different SIP ports then too.
> >
> > What about processes? I notice that Asterisk runs about 26
> processes (or are they threads?) for a single instance.

It's obvious that Asterisk was designed more for the enterprise (ie a
single company), rather than for the carrier (ie multiple companies).
It's a bit hard to explain here, but even with more than a few
companies, the config files and dial plan start to become horribly
complex.