[asterisk-users] Asterisk 'Hosting'

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Wed Aug 16 11:49:11 MST 2006

It's obvious that Asterisk was designed more for the enterprise (ie a single company), rather than for the carrier (ie multiple companies). It's a bit hard to explain here, but even with more than a few companies, the config files and dial plan start to become horribly complex.

Our first customer has 15 contexts (right now) in extensions.conf (we've broken each company into a separate files included from extensions.conf and sip.conf for some manageability).  At several hundred companies, that's several thousand contexts. We have three Asterisk boxes, and can add more, but the config is (almost) idential between them for redundancy, and this means that each Asterisk box has to have a dialplan configured for all companies.

Doug.